Monday, June 4, 2007

Alumni Watch! Interview with NUSSU President, Danny Quek


The National University of Singapore Students’ Union (NUSSU) is the official organization of all undergraduates in NUS. It is specifically catered to serve the general interests of the large and diverse student population in NUS, to highlight and improve on the various issues and ideas that the students are concerned about. We are extremely proud that the 27th NUSSU Executive Committee this year is headed by our AJCian, President Danny Quek Boon Guan (25/98).
(I: Interviewer, D: Danny)

I: What prompted you to join the NUSSU?

D: I have always been active in volunteerism since my secondary school days. When I first came to NUS, I was active in NVAC, the volunteer committee under NUSSU since year one. NUSSU does a lot for the students and I want to be part of it. The decision to run for presidency came when I knew I had a team of dedicated and capable people who are willing to go the extra miles. I believe we can make a difference and formulate new policies that will benefit the students in the years to come.

I: Any interesting experience that you would like to share with us while being the President of NUSSU?

D: Well, I guessed I learnt the most while managing the Fee Hike Saga. When the fee hike was announced, the NUSSU raised its objections and set up a forum for the students. It slowly evolved into suggestions for the NUSSU to protest and we rubbed shoulders with the media. We had sleepless nights managing the students’ anger. The NUSSU responded rationally with respects to our political climate and held dialogue sessions with senior administrators of the University. The University assured us of more consultation, accountability and financial aid. Angry comments slowly became encouraging ones and we were touched by the support of our peers. Overall, I still feel that we have dealt with it in the best possible way.

I: Sounds interesting, how do you manage your time having to commit to both NUSSU and your studies?

D: There were times when I can feel the stress level going high. Our resources can be stretched thin at times and unlike some overseas unions where student leaders take a year off to serve as paid full time staff, we are unable to follow suit. Union and academic commitments do clash often but it teaches me better time management and stress coping skills. Social support, regular exercises and taking timely short breaks certainly do wonders at times.

I: What do you think is the most important value that AJC has instilled in you?

D: I cannot forget our college motto “Non Mihi Solum”. My own understanding of it taught me to be selfless and to focus on the result of the team rather than the individual. I believe this has been my approach for any student body I have joined.

By Selly

No comments: