Monday, June 4, 2007

Alumni Watch! Interview with AJCian Wenyan


Many of us perhaps would have not heard of podiatry. Podiatry is a specialized field that deals with the study and care of feet. A podiatrist is a healthcare professional who deals with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of the medical and surgical conditions of the feet and lower limbs, who can also prescribe, design and produce orthodox devices, perform minor surgery and apply biomechanical principles to analyze and modify stresses that may affect the feet and lower limbs. As we now have a better idea regarding podiatry, we are proud to have Wenyan (13/03), currently pursuing podiatry in the University of South Australia as one of our interviewees.

(I: Interviewer; W: Wenyan)

I: Why did you choose this seemingly rare profession instead of pursuing other biomedical related studies in local universities?

W: Initially, it was pure curiosity in this profession because it is rather uncommon to see podiatrists in Singapore. The curiosity propelled me to get a student attachment in NUH where I really got to see what they do. Podiatrists work with the elderly and I attribute my enthusiasm with working with elderly to the AJC Service Learning Project where we did interaction with elderly from the Lion Befrienders Club. Podiatrists are able to relieve their patients' feet agony, such as removing an ingrown toenail. I think it is very satisfying to be able to relieve someone's acute pain in a short period of time with the skills I have as a podiatrist. I have considered physiotherapy in the local polytechnics but I realize that my interest is more of being in the frontline of healing, rather than on the rehabilitative side. I am more of a people-oriented person, so I have never considered a science degree to work in research area. Getting a science degree to teach was my second option, but I am glad that I am given the chance to pursue this particular field.

WenyanI: How do you feel when dealing with removing dead tissues and cleaning infected areas filled with pus?

W: Currently, I am still in the early stages of my clinical work, so there are not many acute cases that I face. However I get to see many severe foot infection during my student attachments in NUH and CGH (my sponsor hospital) which interest me more than it disgust me. I think I do have a higher tolerance towards them.

I: With all the difficulties that you are facing, how do you manage to keep yourself going?

W: The most fulfilling thing is knowing that whatever difficulties I am facing is unique. I applied for an overseas scholarship for this experience which is worth every difficulty that I face because I know that eventually it will make me a stronger person who has seen more of the world. Eventually what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, so I do cherish every situation I meet, albeit it being difficult. Another thing is that no matter what difficulty I meet, I am always supported by my contingent of friends and family back in Singapore.

WenyanI: Any advice for AJC juniors who may be inspired by your deep interest in podiatry and would like to join you?

W: I would say it will always be better to know more of this profession. Podiatrists in public hospitals would be most glad to offer an attachment to give you more insight of this occupation. Do grab hold of this type of opportunities. Being a podiatrist is not about making money. It is more suitable for people who like people and enjoy having job satisfaction. Be prepared to be engaged in a lot of unglamorous stuff like cutting nails and sloughing off dead tissues. However, there's a lot of joy derived from helping people elevate their pain. That is why people always like to visit podiatrists.

No comments: