Monday, June 4, 2007

Alumni Watch! Interview with Ms Singapore Universe Finalist 2006, Vanessa Tan


Vanessa aka Yiwei of 30/97 has always been told that she resembles MediaCorp artiste Phyllis Quek since secondary school days. But friends who understand her well enough know that Vanessa is really an extrovert. Close friends love her for her bubbly nature, her easy-going personality and her loyalty towards friends. She almost never fails to lend her friends a helping hand when they are in need. After graduation from AJC, she attained an Honours degree in Sociology from the National University of Singapore, Faculty of Arts and Social Science (FASS). She was a Ms Singapore Universe (MSU) Pageant 2006 Finalist.
(V: Vanessa; I: Interviewer)

I) What did you work as upon your graduation?

V: I first worked in the MCDS or the current Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) for a couple of months doing social research at the Probation department before doing my Honours. Upon completion of my Honours, I worked with the MCYS as a Child Protection Officer (CPO) for about a year, mainly investigating into child abuse cases and helping children and families deal with issues of violence that happen behind closed doors. Currently, I am working with the Singapore Airlines as a flight stewardess. It has been two years now.

Vaness TanI: Wow, what a difference between these two jobs!

V: I am very adventurous and am never afraid to try new things. In fact, routine bores me. That probably explains my choice of career (non–desk-bound jobs) and hobbies such as scuba-diving, tandem sky-diving and acting.

I: We saw you in the finals for the Ms Singapore Universe (MSU) Pageant 2006. Have you ever participated in any beauty pageant before this? What prompted you to join?

V: No. The MSU 2006 was my first beauty pageant. Actually, I have thought of taking part in the MSU for the past few years. I only participated this year because I feel I am ready mentally and emotionally for the responsibilities should I be crowned Ms Singapore Universe. Not only that, I feel the MSU is a suitable platform for me to highlight the flight and champion for elevation of the status of the women and children who are forced into prostitution in third world countries.

Vanessa TanI) You have very inspiring reasons to join the pageant. Any interesting experience that you would like to share with us while participating in the Ms Singapore Universe (MSU) pageant 2006? How do you feel while on the national stage?

V: It has always been the media’s interest in digging out any interesting experiences (cat-fighting etc) that happened among the contestants. In any competition, there will bound to have differences surfacing. It is just a matter of whether these differences are handled maturely and healthily. I feel proud and honoured making it to the top 18 finalists of this prestigious national competition. However, frankly speaking, while on national stage, I was busy concentrating on so many things at one go, e.g. my choreographed steps, whether I am smiling enough, dancing to the rhythm, walking elegantly, which camera to look at while at each position on stage etc that I basically didn’t feel much at that moment in time. But I did enjoy myself on that big night, soaking up the atmosphere on my first live show.

I) Very interesting… what do you think is the most important value that AJC has instilled in you? Any words of encouragement to our juniors and other ex-AJCians?

Vanessa TanV: Not for myself alone. I think this value has a great influence in many aspects of my life. Of all courses available in the FASS, I chose social work because I want to be equipped with the skills to help others help themselves. In addition, it has helped me connect with people more effectively as I understand people from their points of view. This value has also definitely helped me serve my passengers better as I am able to anticipate their needs, a characteristic that my passengers find quite delightful in my service. Never dare to dream big and push beyond your self-imposed personal limits. I definitely do have doubts of myself whether I could even get past the first round of the MSU audition. It takes great courage to stand and be judged in front of the national audience and I salute to all the MSU contestants for having that courage. I urge all AJCians to believe in yourself and to chase after your dreams. Most importantly, never allow anyone to tell you that you can’t do it.

Vanessa believes in not sweating the small stuff. Looking beyond the minute stuff helps her stay positive in life. Her enthusiastic nature and her influential smile has brightened the life of people around her. She is passionate towards life and will do her best in everything she sets her mind on.

We wish Vanessa all the best in her future. She is definitely not only our Ms AJCian but our Ms Singapore Universe (MSU) winner as well in our hearts, as a woman of brains and beauty.

Interview conducted by: Lau Kiat Meng, Meiling and Peggy.

No comments: